How Fast Does A Laurel Hedge Grow?
How fast a Laurel hedge grows depends on which variety of Laurel you choose.
Here are the expected growth rates for the different types:
- Laurel, Bay – slow growing – 15/30cm per year
- Laurel, Caucasica – fast growing – 30/60cm per year
- Laurel, Common – fast growing – 30/60cm per year
- Laurel, Compact – slow growing – 10/20cm per year
- Laurel, Etna – moderate growing – 20/40cm per year
- Laurel, Portugal – moderate growing – 20/40cm per year
- Laurel, Spotted – moderate growing – 20/40cm per year
The maximum rates of growth above will be achieved if the new hedge is kept free of weeds and watered well in dry spells, ideally with a mulch applied.
Most new hedges won’t make the maximum amount of growth in their first year while the roots get established.
Laurel hedges that are competing with weeds or grass or are planted under the canopy of larger trees and shrubs will almost certainly grow more slowly.